24 January 2010

A Trip to Cambridge

It was early Tuesday morning when I had to leave my house and go to the airport. I was going to England for a second time, and I was really excited about it, because the first time I visited that country I truly fell in love with it. I am going to skip the part with the actual trip, because nothing really special happened either at the airport, or in the airplane. After I left the Luton airport, I had the feeling that I was in another world. All the roads were perfect, there were no giant holes that would break the car’s suspension, all the sidewalks are clean… It’s like a dream world. It was strange, in the beginning, when cars stopped and let the people cross the road.
Anyway, I took the bus to Cambridge. I had never been there before, and I didn’t know what to expect. Two hours later the bus finally slowed down and stopped (busses in England drive really fast and often it looks scary). The bus stop was located next to a huge grass park, with two or three trees just sticking out of the ground. My hotel was on the other side of the park, just five minutes on foot.
The hotel was awesome. My room had a huge couple bed, a teapot with teabags, and some delicious biscuits. Also, there was a nice big bath-tub in the bathroom. It was very strange that there were two separate water sources – one for hot water on the right, and one for cold water on the left. Eventually I got used to this.
Outside everything was different from anything that I had seen before. All the buildings were old, gothic style, and all of this, combined with the clouds that were in the sky, created the feeling of mysticism. All of the things that I saw, the old universities and churches, made me want to go and study there. However…
When the night came, I decided that I would go out and have some fun somewhere in a bar or something. Much to my surprise, there was only one pub in the whole city, and it closed at half-past ten in the evening. There was no one outside on the streets, everything seemed too strict. As it turned out, the only thing that could’ve been done in Cambridge was studying or site-seeing.
Apart from the little disappointment in the evening, all the rest was totally great. England didn’t disappoint me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment